Portable Building Buying Tips: Finding Value.
Portable building buying tips: Determining value
Tips on determining quality material and construction
- The materials should be sturdy
- The wall uprights or studs should be straight and clear with few or no knot holes, and the more of them the better preferably 24" or less on center.
- The floor joists should be at least 2"x6" material and at least 24" on center.
- The skids should be at least 4" wide and made of treated materials.
- If the building is covered with sheet steel, the steel should have a long rust through warranty.
- If the shed is composite or wood sided, it should be straight with no swaying between studs.
- Siding should be fastened securely.
- Paint or sealant should be even and uniform.
- Good general fit and finish should be obvious but look for tight joints, clean cuts, and no splits.
- Quality doors and windows should be firm and well attached and should open and close easily and firmly.
Tips for finding a building with the right priceOnce you find a quality building, you need to get the best price possible. Another no brainer! Of course, a high-quality building will likely cost a little more than a poor quality building, but it will save money in the long run. You should balance that fact with what you need and what you can afford to pay. For instance: If you need the portable garden shed for storing lawn hand tools, the most important thing is that it be weather worthy. You will not get a lot of advantage buying an 8'x10' building built like Fort Knox to store you garden rake and pruning shears. If you need the shed for storing things of high value, or for use as a family game room or office, you should probably spring for a model built more like a small house. At the place where your needs are met with the highest quality portable building that suits your purpose for a price that you can afford, that is where your value lies.
- Determine what you need.
- Determine What you are willing to pay.
- Start shopping, then shop some more.
- Determine which dealer can best meet your needs.
- Get a price and don't be afraid to haggle there is probably a little wiggle room.
- Dealers sometimes have unpublished discounts available, ask them.